Omission of Articles
1. Before names of materials and abstract nouns.
Gold is an expensive metal.
2. Before plural nouns when they are used in general sense.
- Children enjoy cartoons.
- Cotton clothes are comfortable in summers.
3. Before most proper nouns like names of mountains, individual islands, continents, countries, cities, people etc.
- Mt. Everest is the highest peak in the world.
- Rohit is a good musician.
4. Article is omitted before languages, names of days, months and seasons.
- July is a hot month.
- We have a holiday on Saturdays.
- They will go to Shimla during summers.
5. ‘A’ is also omitted in certain phrases consisting of a preposition followed by an object.
- She spent the day at school.
- She went to the market on foot.
6. Phrases consisting of a transitive verb followed by its object.
- I was told not to lose heart if I did not succeed.
- He was asked to leave home after he misbehaved.