Syllabus of Maths class 5
Shapes & Spatial Understanding
• Gets the feel of perspective while drawing a 3-D object in 2-D.
• Gets the feel of an angle through observation and paper folding.
• Identifies right angles in the environment.
• Classifies angles into right, acute and obtuse angles.
• Represents right angle, acute angle and obtuse angle by drawing and tracing.
• Explores intuitively rotations and reflections of familiar 2-D shapes.
• Explores intuitively symmetry in familiar 3-D shapes.
• Makes the shapes of cubes, cylinders and cones using nets especially designed for this purpose.
Numbers and Operations
• Finds place value in numbers beyond 1000.
• Appreciates the role of place value in addition, subtraction and multiplication algorithms.
• Uses informal and standard division algorithms.
• Explains the meaning of factors and multiples.
3. MENTAL ARITHMETIC
• Estimates sums, differences, products and quotients and verifies using approximation.
4. FRACTIONAL NUMBERS
• Finds the fractional part of a collection.
• Compares fractions.
• Identifies equivalent fractions.
• Estimates the degree of closeness of a fraction to known fractions
• Uses decimal fractions in the context of units of length and money.
• Expresses a given fraction in decimal notation and vice versa.
• Applies the four operations in solving problems involving money.
• Determines area and perimeter of simple geometrical figures.
• Applies the four operations in solving problems involving length, weight and volume.
• Relates commonly used larger and smaller units of length, weight and volume and converts one to the other.
• Applies simple fractions to quantities.
• Converts fractional larger unit into complete smaller units.
• Appreciates volume of a solid body: intuitively and also by informal measurement.
• Uses addition and subtraction in finding time intervals in simple cases.
8. DATA HANDLING
• Collects two-dimensional quantitative data. represents the data in the form of a table.
• Draws a bar graph or a pictograph to present a data.
• Identifies patterns in square numbers, triangular numbers.
• Relates sequences of odd numbers between consecutive square numbers.
• Makes border strip and tiling patterns.