Syllabus of Maths class 2
• Reads and writes numerals for numbers up to ninetynine.
• Expands a number with respect to place values.
• Counts and regroups objects into tens and ones.
• Uses the concept of place value in the comparison of numbers.
• Counts in various ways:
– Starting from any number.
– Group counting etc.
• Arranges numbers upto hundred in ascending and descending order.
• Forms the greatest and the smallest two digit numbers with and without repetition of given digits.
• Indicates and identifies the position of an object in a line.
2. ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION
• Adds and subtracts two digit numbers by drawing representations of tens and ones without and with regrouping.
• Adds zero to a number and subtracts zero from a number.
• Observes the commutative property of addition through patterns.
• Solves addition, subtraction problems presented through pictures and verbal description.
• Describes orally the situations that correspond to the given addition and subtraction facts.
• Estimates the result of addition and subtraction and compares the result with another given number.
3. PREPARATION FOR MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION
• Discussion of situations involving repeated addition and situations involving equal sharing.
• Activities of making equal groups.
4. MENTAL ARITHMETIC
• Adds and subtracts single digit numbers mentally.
• Adds and subtracts multiples of ten mentally.
• Measures lengths & distances along short & long paths
using uniform (non-standard) units, extends to longer
• Compares two or more objects by their weight.
• Appreciates the need for a simple balance.
• Compares weights of given objects using simple balance.
• Compares and orders containers in terms of internal volume(capacity).
• Orders given containers as per their capacities on the basis of perception & verifies by pouring out etc.
• Identifies currency – notes and coins.
• Puts together amounts of money not exceeding Rs 50/-.
• Adds and subtracts small amounts of money mentally.
• Transacts an amount using 3-4 notes.
• Gets familiar with the days of the week and months of the year.
• Gets a feel for sequence of seasons (varying locally).
• Sequences the events occurring over longer periods in terms of dates/days.
Shapes & Spatial Understanding 3-D and 2-D Shapes
• Observes objects in the environment and gets a qualitative feel for their geometrical attributes.
• Identifies the basic 3-D shapes such as cuboid, cylinder, cone, sphere by their names.
• Traces the 2-D outlines of 3-D objects.
• Observes and identifies these 2-D shapes.
• Identifies 2-D shapes viz., rectangle, square, triangle, circle by their names.
• Describes intuitively the properties of these 2-D shapes.
• Identifies and makes straight lines by folding, straight edged objects, stretched strings and draws free hand and with a ruler.
• Draws horizontal, vertical and slant lines (free hand).
• Distinguishes between straight and curved lines.
• Identifies objects by observing their shadows.
• Observes and extends patterns in sequence of shapes and numbers.
• Searches for patterns in different ways of splitting a number.
• Creates block patterns by stamping thumbprints, leaf prints, vegetable prints, etc.
• Creates patterns of regular shapes by stamping.
10. DATA HANDLING
• Collects data through measurement.
• Represents the data followed by discussion (e.g. heights of children).
• Collects and presents the data on birthdays.
• Draws inferences from the data at the appropriate level.