According to Dalton’s atomic theory:-
- All matter is made up of very tiny particles called atoms
- Atoms are invisible particles which cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction
- Atoms of a given element are identical in mass and chemical properties
- Atoms of different elements have different masses and chemical properties
- Atoms combine in the ratio of whole numbers to form compounds
- The relative numbers and kinds of atom are constant in a given compound
Drawbacks of Dalton’s Atomic Theory
- Pelton atoms are invisible but we now know that atoms can be divided into protons, neutrons and electrons.
- According to Dalton’s atoms of an element have the exact same mass but we now know that atoms of same elements can have slightly different masses
- According to Dalton atoms of different elements have different masses now I know that they can have the same mass.